2. Bristol: Clifton Suspension Bridge Vaults Experiences
Explore two of the twelve impressive stone vaults that support the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Discovered just 20 years ago, the largest chamber is 11-meters-high and covered in incredible stalactites and was built by famous Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. All ticket holders must be aged 7 years or over, and must wear sturdy shoes with good grip.
Hard Hat Tour
One Hour. £15 General Admission
This is your chance to take a look inside Brunel’s hidden vaults, rediscovered by an intrepid team of engineers and construction workers in 2002. Our knowledgeable volunteer guides will explain how the design of Brunel’s bridge was shaped by the influence of others, and how the young newcomer was able to make his name. You’ll hear all about the people who built and rediscovered the vaults before donning a hard hat, descending a ladder and taking a look for yourself.
One Hour. Adults £10, Children £8
Our Vaults Visits are a family-friendly way to explore inside the Leigh Woods Vaults. Put on your hard hat, climb down the ladder and follow our sensory map as you explore the largest and most significant of the twelve stone vaults – an impressive underground echo chamber 11 metres high and festooned in stalactites.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Please ensure that all members of your group are aware of the following restrictions. For safety reasons, we may not be able to allow members of your party to access the vaults if they have not complied with the following:
• Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult. For school and youth groups we’d recommend a ratio of 1:5, but if you’re planning a friends and family trip parents/guardians should be responsible for the safety of their own children. Ideally a ratio of 1 adult to every 2 children is preferred.
• There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
• Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
• This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. Find more information at https://cliftonbridge.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Access-Guide.pdf
• Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
• Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
• Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.