See wildlife such as bison, bears, wolves, and more, from the trail on the Lamar Valley Hiking Tour. Watch these unique animals with binoculars and spotting scopes. Explore the Lamar Valley with a local guide.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures are in place. Check your activity voucher once you book for full details. Learn more
- Duration 6 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
Select participants and date
Meet at the Lamar River Trailhead (Hiker Trailhead, not Stock Trailhead.) From Gardiner, MT / Tower Junction: The trailhead is 14.8 miles from Tower Junction (25 minutes). Turn onto Highway 212 at Tower Junction toward Cooke City. After driving through the Lamar Valley you will pass the Lamar River Stock Trailhead. This trailhead is for horse users. There are two latrines at this location. This is your last civilized bathroom location. The hiker trailhead is another 0.25 mile upstream. This large parking lot for the Lamar River Trail has no latrines. If you get out of your vehicle you will see a small footbridge. From Cooke City, MT: The trailhead is 18.3 miles from Cooke City (30 minutes). It is located approximately 0.5 mile past the small, white Soda Butte thermal formation.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Rain gear
- Feeding animals
- Touching animals
Know before you go
- Hike takes place rain or shine
- Hike is at 6,500ft elevation, and includes up and downhills along six miles of trail