Discover the best-preserved defenses of any major fort along Hadrian's Wall, together with the longest stretch of the wall itself, at Birdoswald Roman Fort. Explore the remarkable site and learn more about the story of the Roman frontier.
About this ticket
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible—book your spot and pay nothing today. Learn more
- Valid 1 day
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Wheelchair accessible
Select participants and date
Meeting point may vary depending on the option booked.
What to bring
- Hiking shoes
Know before you go
- Parking is located approximately 200 meters from the site with room for over 50 cars. Parking charges apply
- Visitors are welcome to bring a picnic. There are benches located in the main courtyard, orchard, and near the south of the fort with breathtaking views over the River Irthing
- Birdoswald Roman Fort onsite cafe serves warm Cumbrian dishes and locally sourced lighter options. Kids lunch bags are also available
- During the summer season (April 1 - October 30) last entry is at 4:00 PM
- During the winter season (October 31 - March 31) last entry is at 3:00 PM
- The Family Ticket is valid for a family with 2 adults and up to 3 children under 17 years of age